Geschiedenis Podcasts

Chales Tyler Stanton

Chales Tyler Stanton

Chales Tyler Stanton werd geboren in Pompey, Onondaga County, op 11 maart 1811. Hij werkte als winkelbediende, maar had een grote interesse in botanie en geologie. Stanton verhuisde in 1835 naar Chicago, waar hij zijn eigen bedrijf oprichtte.

In 1846 sloot hij zich aan bij de Donner Party-wagentrein op zijn reis van Independence, Missouri, naar Sutter's Fort in Californië. Het gezelschap volgde de Oregon Trail tot ze op 28 juli Fort Bridger bereikten.

Bij het fort ontmoette het gezelschap Lansford Hastings. Hij was druk bezig met het overtuigen van Oregon-gebonden emigranten om naar Californië te gaan door middel van wat bekend werd als de Hastings Cutoff. Hastings beweerde dat zijn route 300 mijl zou verwijderen van de afstand tot Sutter's Fort. Zijn afsnijding was het oversteken van de Wasatch Mountains, rond het Great Salt Lake naar het zuiden, dan recht west naar de Humboldt-rivier in Nevada, voordat hij terugkeerde naar het hoofdpad van Fort Hall.

Hastings vertelde mensen dat de woestijn slechts 40 mijl breed was en dat ze na 24 uur water zouden vinden. Het was in feite 82 mijl breed en water was pas te vinden na 48 uur reizen. Hastings vertelde George Donner en James Reed dat drie wagontreinen al voor deze route hadden gekozen.

De Donner Party had tot dusver weinig tijd gehad en liep al een eindje achter op de meeste andere wagontreinen die van Independence naar Sutter's Fort reisden. Ze wisten dat ze de Sierra Nevada moesten oversteken voor de sneeuwval die hun pad naar Sutter's Fort zou brengen. Dit gebeurde meestal begin november. Hoewel ze op schema lagen om de bergen tegen het einde van de zomer te bereiken, maakten ze zich zorgen over andere vertragingen die zouden kunnen leiden tot blokkering door het winterweer. Ze namen daarom de beslissing om het advies van Lansford Hastings op te volgen en de voorgestelde kortere weg te nemen.

Op 31 juli verliet de Donner Party Fort Bridger. Ze kwamen pas op 6 augustus uit de Echo Canyon. Waar ze vier dagen voor hadden verwacht, hadden ze in werkelijkheid zeven dagen gekost. Ze vonden een brief van Lansford Hastings waarin hen werd geadviseerd te kamperen bij de Weber River en een man vooruit te sturen om hem te zoeken, zodat hij hun een nieuwe route naar Californië kon wijzen. Stanton en James Reed gingen achter Hastings aan. Toen ze hem vonden, weigerde hij het aanbod om de persoonlijke gids van de Donner-wagentrein te worden. In plaats daarvan tekende hij een ruwe kaart van de nieuwe route.

De Donner Party trok op 12 augustus de Wasatch Mountains binnen. Ze ontdekten al snel dat ze zich een weg moesten banen door espen, cottonwood en verward kreupelhout om een ​​route voor de wagens te maken. De volgende dagen moesten ze rotsblokken losmaken en wegen over moerassen aanleggen om de vallei van het Great Salt Lake te bereiken. De drieëntwintig wagons van de Donner Party kregen nu gezelschap van de familie Graves en hun drie wagons. Zoals Virginia Reed later opnam, bestond de nieuwe groep uit "W.F. Graves, zijn vrouw en acht kinderen, zijn schoonzoon Jay Fosdick en een jonge man met de naam John Snyder."

Het was nu 27 augustus en ze moesten nog de Zoutwoestijn over. Leden van de partij beseften nu dat ze in ernstige problemen zaten en hadden nu maar een kleine kans om de bergen van de Sierra Nevada over te steken voordat de wintersneeuw hun route blokkeerde. De snellere wagens rukten op en de langzame, zwaar beladen wagens van de Reeds en Donners raakten steeds verder achterop.

De Donner Party bereikte Pilot Peak op 8 september. Om hen in staat te stellen bij te blijven, moesten de Reeds en Donners een deel van de zware goederen die ze droegen achterlaten. Ze lieten ook drie wagens achter en verhoogden het aantal ossen dat de resterende wagens trok. Leden van de partij twijfelden ook of ze genoeg voedsel hadden voordat ze Californië bereikten. Daarom werd besloten om twee mannen, Stanton en William McCutcheon, vooruit te sturen naar Sutter's Fort om proviand voor de wagentrein te kopen.

De Donner-partij begon nu in de richting van de Humboldt-rivier. Op 30 september bereikten ze het hoofdpad van Fort Hall naar Sutter's Fort. Tegen die tijd was de rest van de wagontreinen uit 1846 echter al lang verdwenen en bevonden ze zich al in Californië. De Donner-partij had nu last van de Paiute. Ze stalen twee ossen en twee paarden. Ze vuurden ook verschillende pijlen af ​​op de wagentrein en verwondden enkele dieren.

Op 5 oktober 1846 trof een andere ramp de Donner-partij. James Reed en John Snyder hadden ruzie over een van de wagons. Snyder verloor zijn geduld en sloeg hem met een bullwhip op zijn hoofd. Reed trok zijn mes en stak het in Snyders lichaam. Snyder mompelde: "Oom Patrick, ik ben dood." Zijn voorspelling was correct en Lewis Keseberg begon onmiddellijk een wagentong op te zetten als een geïmproviseerde galg. William Eddy gebruikte zijn pistool om erop te staan ​​dat Reed niet zou worden gelyncht. De anderen waren het daarmee eens en na veel discussie werd besloten dat Reed uit de wagontrein moest worden verbannen. Hij werd gedwongen om zonder wapens te paard naar Sutter's Fort te gaan. Voor velen in de partij was dit gelijk aan het ter dood veroordelen van Reed.

Kort daarna wierp Lewis Keseberg een van zijn medewerkers, Hardkoop, uit zijn wagen. Hij werd nooit meer gezien en het is niet bekend of hij stierf van de honger of werd gedood door lokale inheemse Amerikaanse stammen. Dit werd gevolgd door de verdwijning van een andere Duitser genaamd Wolfinger. Joseph Reinhardt en Augustus Spitzer gaven later toe dat ze Wolfinger hadden beroofd en vermoord.

De Donner Party moest nu een 40 mijl lange woestijn oversteken. Gedurende de volgende drie dagen werd de wagentrein herhaaldelijk aangevallen door groepen krijgers. Gedurende deze tijd stalen ze 18 ossen, doodden nog eens 21 en verwondden vele anderen. Omdat de meeste van hun dieren nu dood of gestolen waren, was het gezelschap gedwongen hun wagens achter te laten. Eind oktober bereikte het gezelschap het Truckee-meer.

Op 19 oktober kwam Stanton terug van Sutter's Fort met zeven muilezels beladen met voedsel. William McCutcheon was ziek geworden en moest in het fort blijven. Stanton had echter twee Indiase gidsen meegebracht om hen te helpen naar Californië te komen. Stanton bracht ook nieuws dat James Reed Californië met succes had bereikt. Op 20 oktober doodde William Foster zijn zwager bij een schietongeluk.

De Donner-partij begon nu aan haar poging om de bergen van de Sierra Nevada over te steken. Een paar sneeuwvlagen deden hen beseffen dat ze in een wanhopige race om tijd zaten. In de verte konden ze zien dat de toppen bedekt waren met sneeuw. Op 25 oktober opende een Paiute-krijger het vuur op wat er nog over was van de dieren. Hij sloeg negentien ossen voordat hij werd gedood door William Eddy.

De migranten ploegden door, maar toen ze binnen drie mijl van de top kwamen, werd hun weg geblokkeerd door sneeuwbanken van anderhalve meter. Ze waren nu gedwongen om terug te keren en dekking te zoeken in een hut die ze aan de voet van de berg waren gepasseerd. Ondertussen waren James Reed en William McCutcheon op pad gegaan met genoeg voedsel om de Donner Party de winter in leven te houden. Ze hadden echter ontdekt dat hun pad versperd was en moesten met hun pakezels terugkeren naar Sutter's Fort.

De overlevende leden van de wagentrein begonnen nu een kamp te bouwen naast wat later bekend werd als Donner Lake. Patrick Dolan, Patrick Breen en zijn gezin verhuisden naar de verlaten hut terwijl Lewis Keseberg een afdak tegen een van de muren bouwde. William Eddy en William Foster bouwden een blokhut. Dat deed Stanton ook. Zijn hut was om de familie Graves en Margaret Reed en haar kinderen te huisvesten. George Donner slaagde erin een primitief onderkomen voor zijn gezin te bouwen.

De Donner Party had een wanhopig tekort aan voedsel. De overige dieren werden gedood en opgegeten. Pogingen om vis te vangen in de rivier mislukten. Sommige mannen gingen op jacht, maar de volgende twee weken konden ze slechts één beer, een coyote, een uil en een grijze eekhoorn doden. Het was duidelijk dat als ze in het kamp zouden blijven, ze allemaal zouden omkomen van de honger en op 12 november probeerden dertien mannen en twee vrouwen opnieuw om Sutter's Fort te bereiken. Ze vonden hun weg echter geblokkeerd door een sneeuwstorm van 10 voet en keerden terug naar het kamp.

Het gezelschap rustte een paar dagen en toen deed een gezelschap onder leiding van Stanton en William Eddy nog een poging om in veiligheid te komen. Op 21 november keerden ze verslagen terug naar het kamp. Kort daarna stierf Baylis Williams. Dit motiveerde de sterkere leden van de partij om nog een laatste poging te doen om de bergen over te steken.

Op 16 december verlieten vijftien leden van de partij het kamp en gingen op weg naar de top. Dit werd bekend als de Forlorn Hope-groep. Geholpen door beter weer slaagden ze er deze keer in om de bergpas over te steken. Op 20 december hadden ze een plaats bereikt die Yuba Bottoms heette. De volgende ochtend was Stanton niet sterk genoeg om het kamp te verlaten. De rest werd gedwongen hem te laten sterven.

Welnu, wat je misschien zal verbazen, is dat ik morgen naar Californië ga beginnen. Ik kreeg een goede kans en, denkend dat het twijfelachtig was of ik iets te doen zou moeten vinden in dit land, besloot ik te gaan .... Als je nog nooit hebt gelezen Hastings' (boek) Oregon & Californië pak het en lees het. Je zult enkele van de aansporingen zien die me tot deze stap hebben geleid. Ik hoop er veilig doorheen te komen, waarvan ik denk dat er weinig gevaar is als we in zo'n grote menigte gaan dat we de wet voor onszelf zullen zijn en een bescherming voor elkaar.

In ons kampement hadden we verschillende Oregon-families, die twintig wagons vormden. Er ontstond een kleine opschudding en ze besloten zich terug te trekken uit ons gezelschap en op eigen houtje te gaan, een eigen compagnie vormend en een strijdmacht van ongeveer twintig strijders op de been brengend. Ze gingen enkele dagen vooruit en sloegen een of twee mijl van ons hun kamp op. In hun gezelschap waren veel jonge dames, bij ons meestal jonge mannen. Er waren vriendschappen en gehechtheden gevormd die moeilijk te verbreken waren; want sindsdien is ons gezelschap bijna verlaten, door de jonge mannen die elke dag te paard rijden en doen alsof ze jagen, maar in plaats van het naderende hert of de vlootantilope te achtervolgen, worden ze over het algemeen gevonden onder de mooie Oregon-meisjes! Zo gaan ze elke dag de liefde bedrijven langs de kant van de weg, te midden van de wildste en mooiste landschappen, nu genietend van de meanders van een heerlijke stroom, of de loop van een nobele rivier!

Na een of twee dagen gereisd te hebben, sloegen we onze tenten op bij de Little Blue, die rijk is aan vis, en mijn vaardigheid als visser werd hier op de proef gesteld; maar ik slaagde erin een van de mooiste te vangen die je ooit hebt gezien, die we de volgende ochtend als ontbijt hadden... We reisden meerdere dagen langs deze heerlijke stroom en vonden elke nacht een romantische kampeerplaats. Het landschap was prachtig - het oog dwaalde over eerlijke vooruitzichten van heuvel en dal.

Eentje verlangde ernaar de Platte te bereiken... We hadden nu vier dagen over de Blauwe gereisd en een dagmars zou ons naar die grote rivier brengen. De mars van deze dag werd daarom met enthousiasme hervat. We moesten een hooggelegen vlakte oversteken, de scheidingsrug tussen de wateren van de Kansas en de Platte. Omstreeks elf uur konden we, toen we het hoogste punt overstaken, zien dat het land geleidelijk in beide richtingen afdaalde, en ver in de verte konden we de kleine terpen of heuvels zien, die de kam of kliffen van de nobele rivier vormden... Het was omstreeks twee uur 's middags, toen wij een hoog punt van het land beklommen, zagen wij, uitgestrekt voor ons, de vallei van de nobele Platte. We halloen allemaal met plezier en verbazing. De vallei van de Platte! er is geen ander zoals het. De kliffen liggen tien tot vijftien mijl uit elkaar, de rivier, van meer dan een mijl breed, stroomt door het centrum. De kliffen vallen plotseling van 50 tot 100 voet naar beneden, wanneer er een geleidelijke helling naar de waterkant is. Aan weerszijden van de rivier is geen enkel stuk hout te zien - het is een eindeloze prairie zover het oog reikt; toch is er reliëf te vinden op de talrijke eilanden van de rivier, die over het algemeen met hout bedekt zijn.

Rond 10 uur werd de Chimney Rock ontdekt, zo'n veertig mijl verderop. Ik zag het. Het zag eruit als een kleine torenspits, die in gedurfd reliëf afstak tegen de lucht. Nog twee dagen bereikten we deze beroemde rots en kwamen er rond het middaguur aan. De hoogte ervan werd door ons gisbedrijf op verschillende manieren geschat, van twee tot tweehonderd voet. Ik veronderstel dat het driehonderd voet hoog is. Het is rond, loopt langzaam op en komt uit op een punt aan de voet van de schoorsteen, 80 voet; dan begint de schoorsteen te stijgen in een langwerpig vierkant, van 10 bij 20 voet, 100 voet meer. Gisteren hebben we naar mijn mening een grotere nieuwsgierigheid gepasseerd dan deze; sommigen noemden het het gerechtsgebouw, anderen het fort en weer anderen de kasteeltoren. .... Bij het opvaren van de rivier naar Fort Laramie, heb ik opgemerkt dat hun knoppen, of heuvels, of kliffen, of hoe ze ook mogen heten, slechts aan één kant van de rivier tegelijk te vinden zijn, . ... Dit was het geval voordat ze het 'gerechtsgebouw' bereikten, maar hier sprongen ze plotseling over de stroom, en het eerste gebouw dat we zagen, was de immense massa op de toppen van de kliffen, 200 voet boven de rivier. Daar stond het, eenzaam en alleen, in plechtige grootsheid.

We verlieten ons kampement bij het Fort op zondag, en gingen de Laramie Fork twee mijl op en kampeerden... Ik schreef de andere helft van mijn brief aan u. Maar ik had het pas de volgende ochtend af en zelfs toen niet voordat ons bedrijf vertrokken was. Ik wachtte meer dan een uur om het af te maken... De laatste wagens waren allang achter de heuvels verdwenen... en ik alleen sjokte te voet om de wagens in te halen. Ik bereikte al snel de hoofdweg, waar ik zag dat het was afgelijnd met Indianen te paard, die terugkwamen van de wagens die ze een aanzienlijke afstand op hun reis hadden vergezeld, om de geschenken die ze konden krijgen te bemachtigen en paarden te ruilen... Ik werd al snel omringd door tien of een dozijn Souix... Ze reden allemaal naar me toe en schudden me de hand, en wilden iets dat ik niet kon begrijpen. Een of twee trokken hun messen over hun keel. Dit trof mij niet als een erg prettig vermaak, vooral niet als ze zich op deze manier met mij zouden amuseren. Uiteindelijk bood ik ze een paar stukjes tabak aan, die ze graag aanvaardden, en ze reden schijnbaar tevreden weg... Toen ik met de wagens kwam, ontdekte ik dat het bedrijf uit Oregon zich bij ons had gevoegd. Sinds ze ons verlieten, waren er drie huwelijken voltrokken en stonden er nog een of twee op de tapis. We waren allemaal blij elkaar te zien na onze lange scheiding, en een goed gevoel leek de hele tijd te heersen. We hadden nog niet ver gereisd voordat we begonnen aan de beklimming van de Black Hills en hadden een mooi uitzicht op Laramie's Peak - de hoogste in de bergketen.

Gisteren vierden we 4 juli. Het breken van een of twee flessen goede drank, die verborgen waren om te voorkomen dat een paar oude tappers zouden stelen (zo dorstig worden ze op deze route naar drank, van welke soort dan ook, dat het stelen ervan als geen misdaad wordt beschouwd), een toespraak of oratie van kolonel Russell, een paar liedjes van de heer Bryant, en een aantal andere heren, met muziek, bestaande uit een viool, fluit, een hondentrommel - de hond waarvan het vel werd genomen werd gedood, en de trommel werd gemaakt de vorige nacht - met het lossen van alle kanonnen van het kamp, ​​aan het einde van toespraak, zang en toast, creëerde een van de meest plezierige opwinding die we onderweg hebben gehad.

Op de ochtend van 6 juli, na onze twee dagen rust, gingen we op weg en reisden we twintig mijl naar Deer Creek. Laramie's Peak was bijna de hele dag zichtbaar, in het zuidoosten. Rond het middaguur kwamen we aan bij de noordelijke vork van de Platte, na er meer dan een week van afwezig te zijn geweest. Waar we de rivier raakten, is een fijn bed van steenkool; maar de grote Platte, waarop we zo lang en ver hadden gereisd, hoe het was afgenomen, of liever omhoog, tot een klein stroompje. Het water was helder, maar ik vond het niet zo lekker als toen we het voor het eerst in de rivier hadden gemengd met zand en leem.

We reisden de hele volgende dag de Platte op en kampeerden bij een klein bosje aan de oevers van de rivier. Woensdag staken we rond het middaguur de Platte over en reden zes mijl verder. De buffel en ander wild zijn er in overvloed. Elke dag worden er een of meer gedood, en we genieten weer van vers vlees. Ik denk dat er geen rundvlees in de wereld gelijk is aan een fijne buffelkoe - zo'n smaak, zo rijk, zo sappig, het water loopt in de mond als je eraan denkt.

Op donderdagochtend verlieten we de Platte en de lange reeks zwarte heuvels aan onze linkerhand, en vertrokken naar het Zoete Water. 's Middags kwam kolonel Boon vol opwinding naar voren en zei dat hij met een paar anderen op pad was geweest en acht buffels had gedood, waaronder verschillende dikke koeien en kalveren, en verzocht iedereen die buffelvlees wilde om te krijgen wat ze wilden. 's Middags reden we een paar kilometer en kampeerden bij een mooie bron.

De hele landstreek van Fort Laramie tot deze plek is bijna helemaal kaal. Er is geen gras behalve in de valleien, die slechts op enkele plaatsen weelderig zijn. Men lijkt niet te weten hoe de buffel kan leven op de heuvels waarover ze zich uitstrekken. Over de hele regio groeit de wilde salie of artemisia in overvloed. ... De wijze is niet zoals de wijze van de tuin. Het heeft meer de geur van lavendel... De eerste week na het verlaten van het fort, ervoeren we, hoewel midden in de zomer, de koele bergbries, die 's nachts nodig was om onszelf in onze overjassen te bundelen, en vaak de hele dag door. De afgelopen week was het echter anders. Het is zowel overdag als 's nachts onuitstaanbaar warm geweest - thermometer variërend van 95 tot 100 graden.

Gisteren om 12.00 uur kwamen we aan bij het "culminatiepunt", of de scheidingsrug tussen de Atlantische Oceaan en de Stille Oceaan. Vanavond kamperen we aan de Little Sandy, een van de splitsingen van de Green River, een zijrivier van de grote Colorado, die uitmondt in de Golf van Californië. Zo worden de grote dagdromen van mijn jeugd en van mijn rijpere jaren vervuld. Ik heb de Rocky Mountains gezien - ben de Rubicon overgestoken, en ben nu op de wateren die naar de Stille Oceaan stromen! Het lijkt alsof ik de oude wereld achter me heb gelaten en dat er een nieuwe in me opkomt. Bij elke stap tot nu toe is er iets nieuws geweest, iets om aan te trekken. Mocht de rest van mijn reis net zo interessant zijn, dan zal ik rijkelijk worden beloond voor de moeite en ontberingen van deze zware reis.

Ik heb misschien geen andere kans om u brieven te sturen voordat ik Californië heb bereikt. We nemen een nieuwe route naar Californië, nog nooit eerder dit seizoen gereisd; daarom gaat onze route over een nieuwe en interessante regio. We bevinden ons nu in de vallei van de Bear River, te midden van de bergen van de Bear River, waarvan de toppen bedekt zijn met sneeuw. Terwijl ik nu aan het schrijven ben, worden we opgevrolijkt door een warme zomerzon, terwijl op slechts enkele kilometers afstand de besneeuwde bergen glinsteren in de balken.

Bij het verlaten van Fort Bridger namen we helaas de nieuwe route, zonder noemenswaardige incidenten, totdat we bij de kop van de Webber-canyon aankwamen. Een korte afstand voordat we deze plek bereikten, vonden we een brief die in de top van een saliestruik bleef steken. Het kwam uit Hastings. Hij verklaarde dat als we een boodschapper achter hem aan zouden sturen, hij zou terugkeren en ons zou leiden via een route die veel korter en beter was dan de kloof. Er werd een vergadering van het bedrijf gehouden, toen werd besloten de heren McCutchen, Stanton en mij naar de heer Hastings te sturen; ook waren we op hetzelfde moment om de canyon te onderzoeken en op korte termijn verslag uit te brengen.

De volgende ochtend klommen we naar de top van de berg waar we een deel van het land konden overzien dat tussen ons en de kop van de kloof lag, waar het Donner-gezelschap hun kamp had opgeslagen. Nadat hij me de richting had gegeven, gingen meneer Hastings en ik uit elkaar. Hij keerde terug naar de bedrijven die hij de vorige ochtend had verlaten, ik ging verder naar het oosten. Nadat ik was afgedaald naar wat het tafelland zou kunnen worden genoemd, nam ik een Indiaas pad en baande ik de route waar het nodig was dat de weg zou worden gemaakt, als de compagnie dat had opgedragen toen ze het rapport hoorden. Toen McCutchen, Stanton en ik door de Webber-kloof kwamen op weg om meneer Hastings in te halen, waren onze conclusies dat veel van de wagens zouden worden vernietigd in een poging om door de kloof te komen. Meneer Stanton en McCutchen moesten zo snel als hun paarden het konden verdragen naar ons bedrijf terugkeren, omdat ze het bijna begaven. Ik bereikte 's avonds het bedrijf en rapporteerde hun de conclusies met betrekking tot de Weber-canyon, terwijl ik tegelijkertijd verklaarde dat de route die ik die dag had afgelegd redelijk was, maar veel werk zou vergen bij het opruimen en graven. Ze kwamen unaniem overeen om die route te nemen als ik ze zou leiden bij het maken van de weg, ze werkten trouw totdat het voltooid was.

Op 19 oktober, tijdens een reis langs de Truckee, waren onze harten verheugd door de terugkeer van Stanton, met zeven muilezels beladen met proviand. McCutchen was ziek en kon niet reizen, maar kapitein Sutter had twee van zijn Indiase vaqueros, Luis en Salvador, met Stanton gestuurd. Honger als we waren, Stanton bracht ons iets beters dan eten - nieuws dat mijn vader nog leefde. Stanton had hem ontmoet, noch ver van Sutter's Fort; hij had drie dagen zonder eten gezeten en zijn paard kon hem niet dragen. Stanton had hem een ​​paard en wat proviand gegeven en hij was doorgegaan. We pakten nu het weinige dat we nog hadden op één muilezel en begonnen met Stanton. Mijn moeder reed op een muilezel met Tommy op haar schoot; Patty en Jim reden achter de twee Indianen aan en ik achter meneer Stanton, en zo reden we verder door de regen.

William Eddy, C.T. Stanton, William Graves, Jay Fosdick, James Smith, Charles Burger, William Foster, Antoine (een Spanjaard), John Baptiste, Lewis, Salvadore, Augustus Spitzer, Mary Graves, Sarah Fosdick en Milton Elliot, zijnde de sterksten van de partij, begon te voet de bergen over te steken. Eddy, die het kwellende verhaal vertelde, zei tegen mij dat hij de scheidingsscène tussen hemzelf en zijn familie nooit zou vergeten; maar hij hoopte binnen te komen en hulp te krijgen, en terug te keren met de middelen voor hun redding. Ze begonnen elk met een klein stukje rundvlees; maar ze waren nauwelijks binnen drie mijl van de top van de pas gekomen of de sneeuw, die zacht was en ongeveer drie meter diep, dwong hen weer terug te keren naar de hutten, die ze omstreeks middernacht bereikten.

De volgende dag, heel zwak door gebrek aan voedsel, hervatte hij zijn jacht en kwam ten slotte op een enorm groot spoor van griezelige beren. Onder andere omstandigheden had hij liever de sporen van iemand gezien dan het dier zelf. Maar nu, zwak en zwak als hij was, wilde hij er maar al te graag mee op de proppen komen... Het duurde niet lang of hij het voorwerp van zijn zoektocht vond. Op een afstand van ongeveer negentig meter zag hij de beer, met zijn kop naar de grond, bezig met het graven van wortels. Het beest bevond zich in een klein randje van de prairie, en meneer Eddy, profiterend van een grote dennenboom waar hij op dat moment in de buurt was, hield zich verborgen. Nadat hij de enige kogel die niet in zijn pistool zat in zijn mond had gestopt, zodat hij in geval van nood snel kon herladen, vuurde hij opzettelijk. De beer richtte zich onmiddellijk op zijn achterpoten op, en toen hij de rook van meneer Eddy's geweer zag, rende hij woest op hem af, met open kaken. Tegen de tijd dat het pistool opnieuw was geladen, bereikte de beer de boom en achtervolgde hij met een hevig gegrom de heer Eddy eromheen, die, sneller rennend dan het dier, het van achteren tegenkwam en het met een schot onklaar maakte. in de schouder, zodat het hem niet meer kon achtervolgen. Vervolgens stuurde hij de beer weg door hem met een knuppel op het hoofd te slaan. Bij onderzoek ontdekte hij dat het eerste schot zijn hart had doorboord. Daarna keerde hij terug naar Mountain Camp voor hulp om zijn prijs binnen te brengen. Graves en Eddy gingen achter de beer aan. Ze slaagden er echter uiteindelijk in om in het donker in de beer te stappen. Eddy gaf de ene helft aan meneer Foster voor het gebruik van het pistool. Een deel ervan werd eveneens aan de heer Graves en aan mevrouw Reed gegeven. De beer woog ongeveer 800 pond.

Niet ontmoedigd en gedreven door de toenemende schaarste aan proviand in de hutten, probeerden ze het op de twintigste (november 1846) opnieuw en slaagden erin de kloof te overbruggen; maar ontdekten dat het voor hen onmogelijk was om verder te gaan wegens gebrek aan een piloot, aangezien de heer Stanton had geweigerd de Indianen mee te laten gaan omdat hij niet in staat was de muilezels mee te nemen, die de heer Stanton daarheen had gebracht. proviand van JA Sutter's, voorafgaand aan het vallen van de sneeuw. Hier werden opnieuw hun warmste verwachtingen bedorven; en opnieuw keerden ze zich met bezwaard hart naar hun ellendige hutten. Mevrouw Murphy, dochter en twee zonen waren van deze partij.

Op de twintigste (december) kwam de zon helder en mooi op, en aangemoedigd door haar sprankelende stralen vervolgden ze hun vermoeide weg. Vanaf de eerste dag leek het erop dat meneer Stanton hen niet bij kon houden, maar hij had altijd hun kamp bereikt tegen de tijd dat ze hun vuur hadden aangestoken en voorbereidingen hadden getroffen om de nacht door te brengen. Deze dag hadden ze acht mijl afgelegd en hadden ze vroeg gelegerd; en terwijl de schaduwen van de avond zich om hen heen verzamelden, werd door de steeds dieper wordende duisternis voor Stanton vele angstige blikken teruggeworpen; maar hij kwam niet.

Voor de ochtend werd het weer stormachtig en bij daglicht begonnen ze en gingen ongeveer vier mijl, toen ze hun kamp opsloegen, en stemden ermee in om af te wachten en te zien of Stanton zou komen; maar die nacht was zijn plaats weer leeg door hun troosteloze vuur, terwijl hij, denk ik, aan al het verdere lijden was ontsnapt en in zijn kronkelende sneeuwlaag gewikkeld lag.

De volgende dag draaide de wind naar het zuidwesten en viel de hele dag sneeuw. Ze sloegen hun kamp op bij zonsondergang en omstreeks het donker kwam meneer Stanton aanlopen. Ze hervatten hun reis op de 22e. Stanton kwam zoals gewoonlijk binnen een uur het kamp binnen. Die nacht consumeerden ze de laatste van hun kleine voorraad proviand. Ze hadden zich beperkt tot één ons per maaltijd sinds ze het bergkamp hadden verlaten, en nu was de laatste weg. Ze hadden één pistool, maar ze hadden geen levend wezen gezien.

Tijdens deze dag (23 december) bekeek meneer Eddy een zakje om iets weg te gooien, met het oog op een wat gemakkelijkere omgang. Daarbij vond hij ongeveer een half pond berenvlees, waaraan een papier was bevestigd waarop zijn vrouw met potlood had geschreven, een briefje ondertekend met 'Je eigen lieve Eleanor' waarin ze hem verzocht het voor het laatste uiteinde te bewaren , en sprak de mening uit dat dit het middel zou zijn om zijn leven te redden. Op de ochtend van deze dag bleef meneer Stanton bij het kampvuur zijn pijp roken. Hij verzocht hen door te gaan en zei dat hij hen zou inhalen. De sneeuw was ongeveer vijftien voet diep. Stanton heeft ze niet bedacht.

Ze vervolgden hun weemoedige reis en na ongeveer een mijl te hebben afgelegd, sloegen ze hun kamp op om op hun metgezel te wachten. Ze hadden overdag niets te eten. Stanton kwam niet opdagen. De sneeuw viel de hele nacht en nam een ​​voet in diepte toe. Ze gaven de arme Stanton nu voor dood op.


Charles E. Stanton

Charles Egbert Stanton (22 november 1858 - 8 mei 1933) was een officier in het Amerikaanse leger en bereikte de rang van kolonel. Een veteraan van de Spaans-Amerikaanse Oorlog, en diende als chief disbursing officer en assistent van generaal John J. Pershing tijdens de Eerste Wereldoorlog. Stanton was de neef van Abraham Lincoln's minister van Oorlog, Edwin M. Stanton. [1] Hij is vooral bekend door de gedenkwaardige uitdrukking "Lafayette, we zijn hier!" in een toespraak die hij tijdens de Eerste Wereldoorlog in Parijs hield.


Hoge resolutie afbeeldingen zijn beschikbaar voor scholen en bibliotheken via een abonnement op American History, 1493-1943. Controleer of je school of bibliotheek al een abonnement heeft. Of klik hier voor meer informatie. U kunt hier ook een pdf van de afbeelding bij ons bestellen.

Gilder Lehrman Collectie #: GLC02382.018 Auteur/maker: Stanton, Robert A. (geb. 1839) Geschreven plaats: s.l. Type: Brief ondertekend Datum: 17 mei 1864 Paginering: 1 p. 24,7x20,2cm.

Ordnantierapport tijdens de Spotsylvania-campagne. Met Hunt's aantekeningen op verso. Geschreven vanuit de artilleriereserve van het Ordnance Office. Charles H. Whittelsey (1832-1871) studeerde in 1853 af aan Yale. Hij diende in de burgeroorlog als luitenant in de 1st Connecticut Heavy Artillery in 1862, en vervolgens in de staf van generaal Robert O. Tyler en generaal Horatio G. Wright. Hij ontving promotie tot brevet majoor voor zijn diensten in de 1864 campagne voor Richmond en de 1864 Shenandoah Valley campagne brevet luitenant-kolonel voor dapperheid in de veldslagen van Petersburg en kolonel voor dapperheid in de Appomatox-campagne. Hij werd benoemd tot brevet brigadegeneraal vanwege zijn dappere dienst in de burgeroorlog.

Charles H. Whittelsey (1832-1871) studeerde in 1853 af aan Yale. Hij diende eerst in de burgeroorlog als luitenant in de 1st Connecticut Heavy Artillery in 1862, en daarna diende hij later in de staf van generaal Robert O. Tyler en generaal Horatio G. Wright. Hij ontving promotie tot brevet majoor voor zijn diensten in de 1864 campagne voor Richmond en de 1864 Shenandoah Valley campagne brevet luitenant-kolonel voor dapperheid in de veldslagen van Petersburg en kolonel voor dapperheid in de Appomatox-campagne. Hij werd benoemd tot brevet brigadegeneraal vanwege zijn dappere dienst in de burgeroorlog.


Charles P. Stanton-collectie

De Charles P. Stanton Collection bevat de resultaten van vijftig jaar genealogisch onderzoek. Het grootste deel van de collectie, Serie V, bestaat uit meer dan 2000 stambomen, correspondentie en aanverwant materiaal van meer dan 300 joodse families uit de regio's Neurenberg, Fuerth, Bamberg, Ansbach en Dinkelsbuehl. Sommige families hadden ook vestigingen in Ichenhausen en Laupheim in Schwaben. Veel van de mappen in deze serie bevatten een "Master Family Tree" samengesteld door Stanton. Hij stuurde vaak kopieën van deze stambomen naar geïnteresseerde onderzoekers. Ze vertegenwoordigen de definitieve versie van zijn onderzoek naar een bepaald gezin. De mappen, die geen hoofdstamboom hebben, bevatten meestal kleinere versies van stambomen, ofwel samengesteld door de families zelf of door Stanton. Bijna alle mappen bevatten ook onderzoeksmateriaal en correspondentie, die aanvullende genealogische informatie bevatten. Aantekeningen en concepten voor de stambomen van de stambomen zijn te vinden in Serie IV. Ook opgenomen in deze collectie zijn aantekeningen over verschillende dorpen en steden in Franken, gelegen in serie III.

Meer algemene onderzoeksnotities en materialen zoals kaarten, oude indexen, adressen, overlijdensberichten en goed bewaarde bankbiljetten uit Theresienstadt zijn te vinden in Serie II.

De collectie bevat slechts enkele persoonlijke voorwerpen die verband houden met Charles P. Stanton. Serie I bevat documenten over zijn militaire dienstplicht, zijn activiteiten als lid van de Grace Church en de Cornell University Alumnivereniging. Gebruikers kunnen in deze serie ook algemene correspondentie vinden die voornamelijk uit de jaren negentig stamt.

Datums

Schepper

Taal van materialen

Toegangsrestricties

Gebruiksbeperkingen

Er kunnen enkele beperkingen gelden voor het gebruik van de collectie. Voor meer informatie contacteer:

Leo Baeck Institute, Centrum voor Joodse Geschiedenis, 15 West 16th Street, New York, NY, 10011

Biografische aantekening

Charles Perry Stanton's parents, Fritz and Hella Steinlein (née Kaufmann) were en route from Nuremberg to the United States when Charles was born in Zurich in December 1935. His older brother Peter was born in Nuremberg in August 1930. The family settled in Great Neck, NY and converted to Christianity. Charles Stanton was baptized and brought up as an Episcopalian. On November 9, 1938 the family changed the last name from Steinlein to Stanton.

Charles Stanton studied law at Cornell University and graduated in 1957. Following his graduation, he served as Lieutenant in the US Army until 1965. He then worked for J.P. Morgan for over twenty-five years. Later, he joined the financial services office of the Pratt family, which founded the Pratt Institute. He was also active in the local Episcopal church, and served as treasurer, clerk and member of the choir.

In 1969, Charles Stanton married Julia (Judy) Duke Henning. They had two daughters: Julie and Charlotte

Since the age of fourteen, Charles Stanton had been involved with genealogy and researched the Jewish families of Franconia, where his family had lived for many generations before the Holocaust. In the 1990s, he worked extensively with Gisela Blume from Zirndorf , Germany and Dan Barlev from Jerusalem.


Historic Site Sign

Antelope Station prospered with the mining industry, which by 1871 was flourishing along Weaver Gulch on the east and Antelope Creek on the west. During that year Charles C. Genung started construction of a road through town to accommodate the stage lines. Yaqui Wilson opened a store in partnership with John Timmerman, and a man named William Partridge started a hotel and station in prepa ration for the arrival of overland passengers. Barney Martin and his wife owned a neat red-brick store in the center of town. Thus Chuck Stanton had three competitors and he had a consuming determination to dispatch them all and be come the town's absolute ruler.

He hadn't long to wait for his chance to act, as prosperity soon brought the least desirable element to town with the advent of the notorious Venezuela gang, as bloodthirsty crew as ever roamed the Southwest. Stanton immediately be came an intimate of the Venezuelas and in mere weeks was their recognized leader. So began the bloody extermination of his competitors, one by one, and a rapid rise to power by methods as devious and ruthless as the man himself.

The road was completed by Genung in 1872, and Ante lope Station became a regular stop for two stage lines: the Pierson and the Jim Grant. Passengers from both lines in variably went to the Wilson-Timmerman store for rest and refreshments, a fact that infuriated Partridge and at the same time afforded Stanton a method of disposing of two hated rivals with one stone. His chance had arrived sooner than he'd expected.

In addition to running his store and stage stop, Wilson raised pigs and prickly pears at his home. One day when he was on a trip to Prescott , the pigs got out and caused considerable damage at Partridge's. Before Wilson 's return Stanton instructed his Mexican ruffians to pass the word along to Partridge that Wilson was out to get him. Receipt of this message, together with the existent ill feeling concerning the stage passengers, stirred Partridge to a white-hot fury, and immediately upon Wilson 's return, Partridge sent word for him to come and get his pigs forthwith. Wilson started to retrieve his pigs, carrying a sack of prickly pears with which to entice them home. A stage driver who witnessed the entire affair testified at the resulting trial that Wilson was unarmed when he started from his home. As he approached Partridge's place Partridge shot him dead without warning, then ran away and hid in the hills above town. The next day he proceeded to Prescott , where he gave himself up and was subsequently sentenced to the Territorial Prison at Yuma .


HistoryLink.org

During August and September 1841, the United States Exploring Expedition, commanded by Lieutenant Charles Wilkes (1798-1877), carries out a hydrographic survey of the Columbia River from its mouth to the Cascades. The expedition's appearance at Fort Vancouver alarms the British Hudson's Bay Company officials.

British and American Interests

Hydrographic investigations of the Columbia River course were not new when the United States Exploring Expedition began its survey of the river in 1841. Lieutenant William Broughton (1762-1821) of HMS Chatham had crossed the Columbia River bar in 1792 and used his ship's boats to survey upriver for about 120 miles to support British claims of territorial possession. In 1839, Royal Navy captain Edward Belcher (1799-1897) took HMS Starling and HMS Sulphur upriver to Fort Vancouver.

The United States Exploring Expedition began charting the Columbia River in September 1841. Lieutenant Wilkes had made a preliminary visit to the Columbia in May of that year. He traveled overland from Nisqually and then by canoe down the Cowlitz River to the Columbia. From there, he descended to Fort George at the mouth of the river. Along the way, the view of Mount St. Helens inspired him to name the stretch of the Columbia near its confluence with the Cowlitz as St. Helen's Reach.

Charles Wilkes

Wilkes had received command of the Exploring Expedition only after several more senior officers refused it. He was junior for the responsibility but stood out among naval officers for his training in mathematics and triangulation. When first a candidate to go along on the expedition in 1828, he had been a lieutenant for only two years. In the following years he served as Superintendent of the Depot of Charts and Instruments at Washington, D.C. When the venture actually got underway in 1838, he moved into the commanding officer's slot despite having considerably less sea-going experience than some of his subordinates.

In July 1841, Wilkes sailed in his flagship Vincennes from Puget Sound to the mouth of the Columbia. He sent Vincennes on to California, taking command of USS Porpoise, another expedition vessel more suited to river exploration. De Oregon, a 250-ton merchant brig Wilkes purchased at Fort George, accompanied Porpoise on her upriver journey. Porpoise was a 224-ton, 10-gun brigantine (a two-masted ship rigged with square sails and a fore-and-aft mainsail) 88 feet in length, a 25-foot beam, and a depth in hold of 11 feet. The Boston Navy Yard built her in 1836.

On the Columbia

The ships served as home bases. Crews dispatched in the ships' boats did most of the hydrographic work. Fear of malaria dictated the working schedule. "Falling damps," or night dew was the suspected source of the disease. (We now know that malaria is caused by a parasite carried by infected mosquitoes.) Survey boats did not leave the ships before 9 a.m. Before departing, surveyors put on clean and dry clothing, breakfasted, and took time to smoke. Wilkes required that the boats return at least an hour before sunset. Then the ships spread awnings fore and aft as shelters from nighttime moisture.

Wilkes led the way as the expedition moved upriver. His gig was constantly ahead of the other boats. When sailors left a campfire unattended at the foot of Mount Coffin, near the mouth of the Cowlitz, it set fire to trees where Indians had placed their dead in canoes. He attempted to placate the Chinooks with presents, explaining that the conflagration was an accident. Later Wilkes said that there probably would have been trouble, were the Indians not so weakened by malaria and smallpox.

Smoke on the River

Porpoise en Oregon followed the boats upriver, occasionally running aground. On one occasion, they became stuck on opposite sides of the river. Assistant Surgeon Silas Holmes, an acerbic wit, commented that the ships "formed excellent buoys, pointing out the dangers on either side" (Stanton).

The surveyors also suffered from smoke generated by fires burning along the river. The Indians set them to clear ground and drive game. On at least one day, smoke lay so thickly over the river that the surveyors could not work. Wilkes, a stern disciplinarian, reprimanded Lieutenant William M. Walker (1813-1866) for taking three bottles of brandy as a reward for his boat's crew, who "sweated and choked in the smoke that lay low on the river" (Stanton).

The Hudson's Bay Company

At the end of August, Porpoise en Oregon reached Fort Vancouver, about 100 miles from the sea. Wilkes sent Lieutenant Walker with four boats to continue charting as far as the falls at the Cascades, about 160 to 165 miles from the river mouth. Lieutenant Oliver Hazard Perry took four more boats to survey the Willamette up to its falls. The hydrographers concluded that sea-going vessels should go no farther than Fort Vancouver, where the Columbia was at least 14 feet deep at all seasons.

Coincidentally, the American explorers reached Fort Vancouver when Sir George Simpson (1792-1860), North American Governor for the Hudson's Bay Company, was visiting. Wilkes dined with Simpson and Dr. John McLoughlin (1784-1857), the official in charge of Fort Vancouver. While at Fort Vancouver, Wilkes made a side trip to the Willamette Valley. He told American settlers there that the time had not yet come to try to establish a civil government under the American flag. At this time, there were about 40 Americans in the Willamette Valley. None were known to be living north of the Columbia River.

Wilkes told Simpson that he intended to recommend that the United States claim the Oregon Territory as far north as 54°40'N (approximately today's southern boundary of Alaska). Sir George later wrote to the British Foreign Office saying that the land south of the Columbia was not worth contesting. But Britain, he recommended, should not "consent to any boundary which would give the United States any portion of the Territory north of the Columbia River" (Walker).

Hudson's Bay officers at Fort Vancouver offered every assistance and warm hospitality to the U.S. Navy party. Nevertheless, the appearance of two U.S. warships off the fort and Wilkes's revelation probably influenced the decision Hudson's Bay Company officials would later make to remove accumulated stores at Fort Vancouver to a new post at Victoria, which they established in 1843.

On the downriver trip, Wilkes became ill but continued to work. Then a 16-mile side trip up the Cowlitz nearly ended his life. On the way back to the Columbia, his gig hit a snag. The impact knocked down two of the boat's crew while low-hanging branches ensnared and nearly strangled the expedition's commander.

Porpoise
en Oregon reached the mouth of the Columbia on September 30. There they joined the Flying Fish. After taking on supplies, the expedition's ships left the Columbia River to sail south on October 9, 1841.

Paul Allen Virtual Education Foundation

Charles Wilkes (1798-1877)

Fort Vancouver, 1841

Sketch by Joseph Drayton, Courtesy Fuller, A History of the Pacific Northwest

Woodcut made on U.S. Exploring Expedition of Indian baskets, 1841

Woodcut by J. H. Manning, Courtesy UW Special Collections (NA4000)

Woodcut made on the U.S. Exploring Expedition of Columbia River Indian fishing huts, The Dalles, 1841

Woodcut by J. Drayon, Courtesy UW Special Collections (NA3996)

Sources:

Howard I. Chapelle, The History of the American Sailing Navy: The Ships and Their Development (London: Salamander Books Ltd., 1949) Barry M. Gough, The Royal Navy and the Northwest Coast of North America 1810-1914: A Study of British Maritime Ascendancy (Vancouver: University of British Columbia Press, 1971) William Stanton, The Great United States Exploring Expedition of 1838-1842 (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1975) David B. Tyler, The Wilkes Expedition: The First United States Exploring Expedition (1838-1842) (Philadelphia: The American Philosophical Society, 1968) Dale L. Walker, Pacific Destiny: The Three Century Journey to the Oregon Country (New York: Tom Doherty Associates, 2000) Charles Wilkes, Narrative of the United States Exploring Expedition During the Years 1838, 1839, 1840, 1841, and 1842 Vols. I-V, Microfiche 20926-20929 (Chicago: Library of American Civilization, [1845] 1970).


Chales Tyler Stanton - History

Springboro Area Yesterday:

“Springboro has never had the advantages to be derived from a railroad connection with the outside world,” bemoaned Jessie Wright in his 1915, centennial address for the village. “Let us hope that Springboro may yet get on the map…the railroad map.”

Were Jesse Wright to return to his hometown today he may be surprised to find the flourishing community which exists in spite of an absence of the hoped-for railroad. The tiny village founded on the banks of Clear Creek in 1815, by his grandfather, Jonathan, now sprawls into two counties, Warren and Montgomery, in beautiful southwest Ohio. The Springboro Area Historical Society preserves Jessie’s words and spirit in its dedication to the unique heritage of its ancestors. The historical society came together in 1992, to save the 1798, Christian and Charles Null cabin located on what is now Heatherwoode Golf Course and its work continues with preservation and education efforts throughout the community.

A commemorative history, edited by Rebecca Hall, was published for the sesquicentennial in 1965, and in the 2003, Springboro Area Yesterday: A Pictorial History , a wonderful survey of the people and landscapes of the area, was produced by the City of Springboro Historic Commission in cooperation with historical society and edited by Rebecca Hall.

The museum offers a selection of local history and genealogy reference materials, maps of the city, township and county, and an large collection of artifacts and pictures.

Residents share the Society’s pride in their community since 1915, they have come together every Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day to parade through the historic streets of the old town.

Springboro’s founder, Jonathan Wright, followed his father, Joel, to the Miami Valley in 1814. The Wrights and perhaps a dozen other Quaker families came from their home in Pennsylvania, journeying along the Ohio River up the Little Miami River to Waynesville and nearby Springboro where they found clear, abundant water.

Jonathan Wright settled on the banks of Clear Creek, west of the earlier settlement, and in 1815, platted “Springborough.”

By 1840, 417 residents called Springboro home, with names such as Null, Stanton, Frey (Frye), Greggs, Crocketts and Mullins, joining the Wrights on the town roster.

Methodist Episcopal, Universalist, German Reformed and Presbyterian churches followed in short order.

The county has never been at a loss for religious sentiment with over 60 churches established by 1850, and many of the faithful soon moved on to found schools. Francis Glass is noted as the first school teacher, beginning in 1816, and by the mid 1800s, ten schools were scattered throughout the township serving 750 students. The Springboro Special School District opened in 1837, with lessons in English, mathematics, science and Latin.

Aron Wright served as president for nine years before returning to New York state unfortunately, the college did not long outlast him and its doors closed in 1883.

For more informal pursuits, residents turned to the Springboro Library Association, founded in 1832, at the corner of Market and Main Streets, where librarian and town physician Dr. Joseph Stanton presided. The Grange, Masons, Knights of Pythias, United American Mechanics and the Oddfellows offered philanthropic and social outlets for the gentlemen. Book Regular lectures and numerous book clubs informed and entertained local residents. Jessie Wright reports with some relish possessing the journals of a “mock Legislature” which met from 1841-45, for a “profitable form of amusement during the long winter evenings,” including drama and debates.

Springboro’s Quaker roots remained strong. From its founding, when Jonathan Wright parceled lots to new settlers, a deed restriction prohibited the sale of whiskey on the land for a period of ten years. However, thirsty travelers were not without respite Wright’s property ended at North and Franklin Streets and ingenuity led to all the taverns being located north of that line in “Carr’s Addition.” Jessie’s centennial address also notes “no less than fifteen distilleries” in a two mile radius of the village in its early days. The Women’s Christian Temperance Union, a force to be reckoned with throughout the county, succeeded in keeping liquor sales out of Springboro for over forty years in the late 1800s.

In 1999, Springboro erected the first municipal Underground Railroad Historic Marker and the city of Springboro participates in regular celebrations of its special place in a turbulent period of our national history.

Springboro’s population grew steadily at the turn of the twentieth century. Farmers from many of the nearly three hundred local farms moved to town in their later years looking for an easier life. By 1880, Beers’ History of Warren County listed Springboro census at 553. The next 100 years saw the town balloon to 12,380 (2000 census). The Springboro Community City School District has grown from an estimated 200 students in 1880 meeting in a single building at East and Market Streets to 5,500 students in nine buildings spread throughout the community. A new city hall and police department was inaugurated in 2009, at 320 West Central to afford local government sufficient space to meet the demands of the growing community. A Strategic Master Plan was developed in the late 1990s and another ten years later in an effort to better oversee city expansion as local officials struggle to make that dream a reality with an updated Land Use Master Plan in early 2009.

For a town the railroad left behind, Springboro has done well indeed, and the people of Springboro remain committed to recording its history – and its progress – for years to come.

“A Time to Look Back.” Bicentennial Supplement to The Western Star. 30 June 1976. (MFH)

(The) History of Warren County . Chicago, Illinois: W.H. Beers & Co., 1882.

Springboro Area Yesterday: A Pictorial History . Rebecca Easton Hall, ed.

Springboro Community City School District website .

In 2000, the City of Springboro completed their study and creation of Springboro’s Historic Design Standards (pdf). Though oriented towards preservation of our historic buildings through design standards, a good deal of the history of Springboro and the history of architecture, design and construction is included in the one hundred twenty-eight page report.

The house to left is on the northwest corner of S. Main St and Market St. and was built around 1858, by James P. Griffin, a druggist. The outlines of the house can still be seen behind the commercial facade. Later, William H. Newport, a dry goods merchant, lived there, and it was then occupied from 1892-1910, by Joseph M. Bunnell, a grocer, per Rob Strawser’s Yesterday, Historic Properties in Springboro , Historic Homes, Property Sales and Transaction in Olde Springboro and Surrounding Lands .)


The Enslaved Households of President John Tyler

Born to an affluent family in 1790, John Tyler spent most of his life in Charles City County, Virginia. He was raised on the Tyler family plantation, Greenway, and primarily lived there until his marriage to Letitia Christian in 1813. 1 His father, John Tyler Sr., served as a representative in the Virginia House of Delegates, governor of Virginia, and eventually judge of the United States District Court for the District of Virginia. Judge Tyler was also a prominent slave owner—by 1810, there were twenty-six enslaved individuals living at Greenway plantation. 2 These enslaved men, women, and children were the people maintaining the property, farming the land, and providing the means for the growing Tyler family.

Like his father, John attended the College of William and Mary, graduating in 1807. He then prepared for a career in law, studying with his father and Edmund Randolph, former United States Attorney General. After Judge Tyler died in 1813, he left Greenway and thirteen enslaved individuals to his son John. 3 That same year, John purchased a tract of land in Charles City County and built his own plantation, Woodburn, shortly thereafter. 4 According to the 1820 census, there were twenty-four enslaved people living at Woodburn with the Tylers. 5 Ten years later, the Tyler household had grown exponentially from three to seven children, ranging in age from fifteen-year-old Mary to newborn Tazewell. The enslaved community had grown as well—twenty-nine individuals, more than half of which were under the age of ten, were counted at the Tyler property. These enslaved children helped their mothers and fathers with their various tasks, but some likely became young caretakers for the Tyler children. 6

During the 1820s and 1830s, Tyler held a series of prominent political positions at both the state and national level. While he considered himself a Democrat, he sometimes opposed President Andrew Jackson’s policies—specifically whenever the president opted to use executive power at the expense of the states. After he finished serving in the United States Senate, Tyler returned to practicing law and later ran for a seat in the Virginia House of Delegates. In 1839, the Whig Party nominated William Henry Harrison for president. Tyler, a Virginian slave owner and lifelong Democrat, was strategically added to the ticket to entice southerners to vote for Harrison. This tactic, along with the campaign’s efforts to villainize President Martin Van Buren for the country’s economic woes while casting Harrison as a military hero and commoner, delivered a decisive electoral victory for the Whig Party. “Tippecanoe and Tyler Too” became the oft-repeated slogan of their supporters, but this relationship changed dramatically after the unexpected death of President Harrison on April 4, 1841. Click here to learn more about the enslaved households of President Martin Van Buren.

This 1888 engraving depicts a messenger delivering the news of President William Henry Harrison's death to Vice President John Tyler at his Williamsburg home on April 5, 1841.

Fletcher Webster, the son of Secretary of State Daniel Webster, delivered the shocking news to Vice President John Tyler at his home in Williamsburg, Virginia. Tyler set out for Washington, D.C., and quickly asserted himself as the new President of the United States. He took a new oath of office with the members of Harrison’s Cabinet present, and three days later issued an inaugural address to the American people:

For the first time in our history the person elected to the Vice-Presidency of the United States, by the happening of a contingency provided for in the Constitution, has had devolved upon him the Presidential office…My earnest prayer shall be constantly addressed to the all-wise and all-powerful Being who made me, and by whose dispensation I am called to the high office of President of this Confederacy, understandingly to carry out the principles of that Constitution which I have sworn "to protect, preserve, and defend." 7

About a week after Harrison’s funeral, President Tyler and his family moved into the Executive Mansion. There is little surviving documentation that tells us about the household staff, but there are bits and pieces of evidence suggesting that there were both free and enslaved African Americans working at the Tyler White House. 8 Abolitionist William Still’s The Underground Rail Road detailed the lives and experiences of African Americans who made the journey from slavery to freedom. Still shared the biography of James Hambleton Christian, who was born into slavery on the plantation of Robert Christian and claimed he was the half-brother of First Lady Letitia Christian Tyler. 9 James worked for both the Christian and Tyler families, and at the Tyler White House.

The Colored American, November 20, 1841

NewsBank/ American Antiquarian Society

There was also a man named James Wilkins, who worked as a butler for the first family. While there is scant documentation about him, newspaper accounts suggest that he was a free man who worked for wages and managed the staff. An African-American newspaper in New York City, The Colored American, published an article about him on November 20, 1841, and it was picked up by multiple presses throughout the country. According to this column, Wilkins had his own office, oversaw the expenses of the house, and employed both his son and daughter to work at the President’s House. The article concluded: “President Tyler has in all 18 colored persons hired—he has but two of his slaves with him, as servants. This is the first time that any of our Presidents have made a colored man the chief butler of his household. His ‘illustrious predecessors’ have had white men. Surely we are getting up slowly.” 10 While there were certainly other possible motivations for printing this news, Wilkins does appear again during an 1842 debate in the House of Representatives. He is referred to as “Jim Wilkins, the President’s butler,” which suggests that Wilkins did have a role—and a higher one—than expected for the times. 11

There is another documented enslaved individual—President Tyler’s valet—though there is some confusion over his actual name. Contemporary accounts refer to him as either “Armistead” or “Henry” another possibility may be that his name was actually Henry Armistead. Regardless, he appears in the news as one of the six victims of the tragic explosion aboard the USS Princeton on February 28, 1844. New Jersey Congressman George Sykes, who was on board the Princeton, described him as “the president’s servant…a stout black man about 23 or 24 years old and lived about an hour after” the accident. While Sykes doesn’t give a name, he did mention that “the blackman’s” coffin was made of cherry, and “the president’s servant was buried by the coloured persons—and his relations—the next day.” 12 The Daily Madisonian noted that there were six hearses, one of which “conveyed the body of one of the President’s colored servants, to the President’s mansion.” 13 While newspaper coverage fails to shed more light on this particular individual, they do consistently state that one of the president’s servants—likely his enslaved valet—was killed on the Princeton. Writing from the White House that fall, Julia Gardiner Tyler mentioned an enslaved woman named "Aunt Fanny" in a letter to her mother Fanny was likely brought to Washington by President Tyler. These four identified individuals, a mix of free and enslaved African Americans, worked in the Tyler White House. 14

The Daily National Intelligencer, February 28, 1844

NewsBank/American Antiquarian Society

Newspaper accounts from the time also suggest that there were other enslaved individuals working at the White House. Two days before the Princeton explosion, an investigation began into an alleged robbery that took place at the President’s House. Volgens de Daily National Intelligencer, “a colored woman named Mary Murphy” was “charged with stealing silver table and teaspoons, the property of the United States.” The magistrates held a man named “Avery” on the charge of receiving stolen property, and the report also mentioned that “a colored servant belonging to the President is also implicated in this theft.” 15

According to the 1844 D.C. Criminal Court records, George Avery and Susan Goodyear were first charged with larceny in March however, the charges were reduced to receiving stolen goods in June. John Tyler, Jr., was present at their court appearances, likely as a witness on behalf of his father. According to one newspaper, “Susan Goodyear, indicted for receiving three silver spoons belonging to the President’s House, knowing them to have been stolen, was acquitted…George Avery, also indicted for the same offence, was acquitted. Mr. Hoban, counsel for the accused, submitted a number of testimonials from gentlemen in Baltimore and Alexandria, showing for the accused an excellent character.” In a great twist of irony, the public defender for Avery was James Hoban, Jr., the son of the architect who built and rebuilt the President’s House. 16

The criminal court records indicate that this theft occurred—but what of Mary Murphy and the implicated enslaved servant? Her absence from the court proceedings means she was never charged with a crime—and if she was a free woman, the city attorney certainly would have prosecuted her for stealing from the President’s House. However, if Mary Murphy was enslaved and hired out to work at the Tyler White House, her owner may have decided to sell her before she faced charges and lost her value. Many slave owners sold those that resisted enslavement, or in their minds “misbehaved” or were “troublesome” as a result, enslaved individuals lived with the constant fear that at any moment they could be sold and sent to the Deep South.

This court docket shows that George Avery and Susan Goodyear, charged with "Receiving Stolen Goods," were found 'Not Guilty' by a jury of peers on February 7, 1845.

Record Group 21, Records of the U.S. Criminal Court for the District of Columbia, National Archives and Records Administration

Mary’s owner may have been a man named Jeremiah Murphy, who ran a confectionary store on Pennsylvania Avenue between 9th and 10th streets. According to the 1840 census, Murphy owned one enslaved woman—and this woman’s experience working at this type of establishment may have made her a valuable employee in a kitchen or dining room, places where a servant would have direct access to tableware. 17 While this theory is speculative, it might explain Mary Murphy’s disappearance from the criminal court records and newspaper coverage. If the newspaper account is true and President Tyler’s enslaved servant aided Mary’s alleged theft, he or she might have faced a similar punishment, but there is no surviving documentation of this individual.

President Tyler appears seldom in these records, but when he does, it is usually an instance of nolle prosequi, a Latin phrase meaning “we shall no longer prosecute.” The President of the United States served as an executive to the country and within the District itself. Lawyers could appeal on behalf of their defendants by going directly to the president, who possessed the authority to direct the city attorney to drop criminal charges. President Tyler used this power several times in 1844—first, for John Green and Thomas Ratcliff, charged with larceny on March 6. The other instances were for two enslaved men, Samuel Gassaway and Charles Coates, charged with housebreaking and stealing. According to one newspaper account, Gassaway and Coates stole “three pairs of boots and a box of cigars” from the Georgetown store of James and Henry Thecker. They were found guilty and subject to punishment by death, but their case was “recommended to the clemency of the Executive.” 18 On June 20, 1844, President Tyler directed the city attorney to drop the charges against these enslaved men—but not much else is known about them. The president used this legal authority sparingly, which suggests that he knew of them or, upon hearing appeals from their owners, politely acquiesced to their requests. 19 Research is ongoing to learn more about Samuel Gassaway, Charles Coates, and whether they had any prior relationship to President Tyler or the Tyler family.

This court docket shows that "Neg. Saml Gassaway" was charged with "House breaking & Stealing" in October 1843. Further down, the entry states: "Nolle Prosequi by direction of the President of the U.S. and by order of the District Attorney. Filed June 20, 1844."

Record Group 21, Records of the U.S. Criminal Court for the District of Columbia, National Archives and Records Administration

Despite his appeal for a “lofty patriotism” over the “spirit of faction,” President Tyler quickly found himself at odds with Cabinet members and leaders in the Whig Party. His veto of legislation that would revive the Second Bank of the United States sparked a visceral reaction from both politicians and citizens alike. An angry mob descended upon the White House in the middle of the night, banging on drums and kettles while shouting obscenities at the president. They burned an effigy of Tyler, chanting “‘down with Tyler,’ ‘hurrah for Clay,’ [and] ‘give us a bank.’” 20 The Whig Party cast Tyler out, and most of his Cabinet resigned over this episode. Things became even more contentious when on July 22, 1842, Virginia Representative John Minor Botts presented a petition “requesting ‘John Tyler, the acting President of the United States,’ to resign his office and in case he do not comply with such request, they pray that he may be impeached, ‘on the grounds of his ignorance of the interest and true policy of this Government, and want of qualification for the discharge of the important duties of President of the United States.” 21 While this measure ultimately proved unsuccessful, this became the first instance of Congress attempting to impeach a president in American history.

The Daily National Intelligencer, October 26, 1843

NewsBank/American Antiquarian Society

Considering the political turmoil that engulfed his presidency, it was hardly surprising when neither party selected Tyler to be its presidential nominee in 1848. He quietly left office and returned to Sherwood Forest, his plantation estate in Charles City County, Virginia. 22 By 1850, there were forty-six enslaved individuals working at the Tyler property ten years later, that number decreased slightly to forty-four. 23 This increase also coincided with the second expansion of the Tyler family, as the president had married twenty-four-year-old Julia Gardiner in 1844. The couple went on to have seven children, and they enjoyed hosting guests for dinner and dancing at Sherwood Forest. Near the outbreak of the Civil War, Tyler served as a representative at the Peace Conference of 1861 but ultimately rejected the proposed resolutions. He would go on to serve as an elected representative for the Confederacy, but he did not live to see the end of the war.

On January 18, 1862, he died in Richmond, Virginia at age 71. While he had requested a simple burial, political leaders of the Confederacy organized a state funeral for the former president. His remains laid in state in the Hall of Congress in Richmond, covered “with the flag of his country.” 24 Memorial services were held at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, followed by a procession to Hollywood Cemetery. 25 His death also marked a new era of uncertainty for the enslaved men, women, and children held in bondage by the Tyler family. Union soldiers descended upon Sherwood Forest in 1864, and their presence gave the enslaved community an opportunity to escape. The troops also inflicted damage on the property, stole items from the house, and confiscated or destroyed Tyler’s papers. 26 As a result, we know very little about those enslaved by the Tyler family—but hope to learn more as our research continues.

Thank you to Dr. Christopher Leahy, Professor of History at Keuka College, and Sharon Williams Leahy of History Preserve, for sharing their insights and research for this article.


Four Centuries

Algonquian-speaking Native Americans migrated here from the north at least 800 years before the first Europeans arrived, taking up land that had been occupied by other tribes as early as 10,000 years before. In 1613 Europeans planted a settlement at West and Shirley Hundred on the north side of the James River. Settlers planted six more settlements in quick succession along the same shore. The native inhabitants were scattered, but in diminished numbers they clung to the land.

From the early seeds of European settlement, great tobacco plantations grew and with them the need for labor. During the late 1600s and early 1700s, the labor of enslaved Africans quickly replaced that of English indentured servants. During the 1800s the Civil War brought emancipation to these slaves and other changes in the way residents earned their livelihood. Logging, fishing and small-scale farming became the primary way of life for Charles City residents well into the 1900s.

Today, only a small number of county residents continue to draw their livelihood from the forests, the water and the land. Yet, Charles City residents remain tied to this land, a timeless setting and the birthplace of ancestors.


Chales Tyler Stanton - History

Stanton's post office was established March 5, 1875 and was discontinued June 15, 1905. At the base of Rich Hill, Stanton had in its heyday a five stamp mill, boardinghouse, store, and at least a dozen houses. Named after Charles P. Stanton, the camp is rumored to have started as early as 1963. Stanton was killed in his own store by two Mexican bandits who were revenging Stanton's insult to one Cristo Lucero's sister. Stanton was a ruthless person who plotted to kill people for his own benefit and had the blood of many people on his conscious. He never committed the acts himself, but hired others to do them. Several buildings are still at the site today.

Originally named Antelope Station, name changed in 1875 to Stanton, with Charles P. Stanton as postma-ster, because there was another Antelope Station. - GT

Stanton (Antelope Station). To reach Stanton you shall pass Congress and drive in the north direction on SR 89. When you pass Congress keep eyes with the Frog Rock on the left side on the road. Road to Stanton is on the right hand, 2 miles after Congress. From SR 89 to Stanton is a 6 miles god dirt road. Stanton, originally named An-telope Station was a small town beside Antelope Creek. Charles P. Stanton arrived to Antelope Station in 1870 after he quit the job as in Vulture mine. The town had a stagecoach station, owned by one Englishman with the name William Par-tridge and country store wish was owned by G. H. "Yaqui" Wilson. Wilson had a pigs, and they were often on Partridge's ground and eat the things witch were stored for the travellers. Charles P. Stanton made a devils plans how to make use of arguments between Partridge and Wilson and how he can eliminate both of them, because he was thinking they will leave both business to him. So, one day when he meet Partridge, he told him that pigs owner are after him. That was a big lie, but Partridge believed him, and he shoot Wilson as soon he saw him. Partridge were arrested, questioned, convicted and sent to jail in Yuma. In Yuma he complained that the Wilsons ghost was after him all the time. But, the things were not as planet for Stanton. Wilson had a secret partner by the name Tim-merman who overtook the store, and the jailed Partridge had creditors who sold his stagecoach station to Barney Martin. Stanton, who was mad about all this, rented a group of desperado s leaded by a local gunman by the name Francisco Vega to take away both of them. Shortly after that, Vega killed first Timmer-man. In 1875 the town changed name to Stanton, with Charles P. Stanton as a postma-ster. Post office opened on mart 5, 1875. Beside Stanton, only man who had a power was Bar-ney Mar-tin. In July 1886 the remains of Martin and his family were found north of the town, killed from the ambush. On that way Charles Stan-ton become the brutally that control he was dreaming about, but not for a long time. In November that year the law was satisfied when a young member of Vega gang, Christero Lucero, shot Stanton because he bothered Luceros sister. When he was to escape from the town, he meets one of Stanton s enemies by the name Tom Pierson. When Lucero told him what he was done, story says that Pierson told him. "You don t need to escape. If you stay, it s you who shall have a reward". Nobody fall tears for Stanton and in following 4 years the town of Stanton become as dead as Stanton self even the town still has his name. Post office closed in 1890 when the miners closed but opened again in 1894. In the town lived about 200 people. Post office closed definitive on June 15, 1905 and Stanton become ghost town. Reason why the town is in good condition is because the town was closed for the public in many years. Only 3 buildings (private owners) from the original town stand today and they are good preserved and awake memories about "Old West". Stanton is turn on to be a RV park, and the area is owned by Lost Dutchman Mining Association who preserves buildings. Bobby Zlatevski

Stanton does allow the public into the gates to visit the Ghost Town. I know because I have been spending the winter there since 2002. Visitors just have to park at the flagpole and check in at the office. Lost Dutchman Mining Association is a gold prospecting organization and does not go about restoring buildings, but they have restored some of the old Stanton buildings so they can use them. Most of the buildings are used by club members. (2008)


Stanton
Courtesy Joe Grumbo


Charles Stanton and his store
Courtesy Sharlot Hall Museum, Prescott


Stanton


Stanton


Bekijk de video: Charles Tyler Ensemble 1966 (Januari- 2022).